Venue: The 34th meeting of the Astronomical Society of India (ASI-2016) will be held at the University of Kashmir, Hazratbal, Srinagar. The University is located on the banks of Dal Lake near the Hazratbal shrine overlooking the magnificent Zabarwan Hills. For details please visit the official website http://www.kashmiruniversity.net. The layout of the venue can be found from the link here.
How to reach: The Srinagar city centre is at a distance of 10 kms from the University and the only airport is about 25 Kms from the University. The nearest Railway station is Jammu about 300 Kms from Srinagar city centre. The national highway from Jammu to Srinagar is a pleasant adventure journey through mountains and planes. All kinds of transport that include Taxi, Buses and mini buses ply on a daily basis from Srinagar to Jammu and back. The average travel time from Jammu to Srinagar is 9-12 hours depending upon the mode of transport and your luck on that day!
- The temperature in Kashmir during May ranges between 10°C to 25°C. It can suddenly get very cold. Warm clothing is advised.
- Prepaid mobile phones do not work in Kashmir.
- Early morning walks alone may be avoided. There is risk of stray dog attacks.
- Consumption of alcohol is not permitted inside Kashmir University.
- Watch for updates on the ASI-2016 website.