ASI Zubin Kembhavi Award
1. About the Award
The Astronomical Society of India (ASI) has instituted the Zubin Kembhavi award funded by Ajit and Asha Kembhavi. The object is to promote (1) Observational and Instrumentation work in Astronomy and allied fields, and (2) Public Outreach and Education in Astronomy and allied fields.
The award carries a cash prize of Rs 1,00,000/- (Rupees one lakh) awarded annually for notable and important contributions to the areas it addresses. In alternate years the award will be directed to work done in areas (1) and (2) mentioned above.
2. Nomination Criteria
The nominees will be individuals or groups who have made significant and outstanding contributions in the area of (1) Observational and Instrumentation work in Astronomy and allied fields (2) Public Outreach and Education in Astronomy and allied fields. Nominations once made will remain valid for two cycles of the award. There will be no age limit. The award will be given to individuals or groups on the basis of the work done primarily in India.
All nominations for the award must be received, annually, by the ASI, by the deadline indicated on the website of the ASI. The nominations should be sent by the prescribed last date as a single pdf document to the Secretary, ASI at email@example.com. Nominations can be made by the heads of the institutions and other eminent members of the ASI. The nomination may be made in the following format:
1. Name of the individual or group
3. Address, email id and cell phone number of the nominee or representative of the group
4. Academic qualifications of individual nominee or nature of the group
5. Major work on which the nomination is based
6. List of publications and/or reports
7. Best five reprints and /or reports relevant to the recommendation
8. Citations of relevance
9. Any other information pertaining to the suitability of the nominee or group for the award
10. Name and designation of the proposer along with the address for correspondence, email id and phone number
11. Covering letter with signature of the proposer with date
4. Selection Process
A five member Award Selection Committee (ASC) is constituted by the ASI ensuring technical and gender representation. Two members of the selection committee will be nominated by the donors. Each member of the ASC receives all nominations along with the supporting material. The ASC will communicate the result of its deliberations to the ASI council within three month following the submission deadline.
5. Announcement of the Award
The successful nominee will be informed of the decision of the ASI council. The recipient of the award, or a representative when the award is made to a group, will be invited to deliver a special lecture at the annual meeting of the Society.
Please find the details of the awardees.
|Sl. No.||Name of the Awardee||Year|
|3||Vivek Monteiro on behalf of the Navnirmiti Group||2020|
|5||Niruj Mohan Ramanujam||2018|